Print this page

About Us



Grays Harbor Community Hospital

It was in 1890 that seven Dominican Sisters founded St. Joseph’s Hospital in Aberdeen. Seven years later in 1897, Aberdeen General Hospital was organized by the late Paul Smits, MD - a young physician from the University of Minnesota.

Faced with a potentially fatal financial crisis in 1945, representatives of the community formed a committee to save the hospital. Volunteer membership consisted of labor, industry, business and the general public. This support spurred the adoption of the name Grays Harbor Community Hospital.

In a demonstration of outstanding community spirit, more than 6,000 individuals, businesses and organizations pledged in excess of a million dollars to assure construction of a new 96-bed hospital. This facility on Anderson Drive was opened in December, 1959.

As the community and its needs grew, a new patient tower was added in 1987.

In 1988, Grays Harbor Community Hospital purchased St. Joseph’s Hospital; thereby, forming the East and West Campuses that we see today.

In June 2006, the E.K. & Lillian Bishop Tower and Dr. Juris Macs Emergency Department opened; tripling the space of the hospital’s existing Emergency Department. It also created shelled space beneath and above, along with a rooftop helipad. This kicked off several years of construction and renovation and the investment of more than $30 million dollars.

 See the links to the left under "About Us" for more information.